Professional Reader

Tuesday 4 July 2017

June Book Haul (Be prepared - I bought lots!)

All year I have promised that as soon as we got to the summer holidays I would go all out to boost my reading time.  What an excellent excuse to get myself some new books! For the first time in my life I got myself a Kindle last month so a lot of the books I got are on there.  Much as I have mixed emotions about Kindles I have been blown away by how handy it has been.  Because I am going on honeymoon this month I needed to invest in a way that I could take as many books as possible with me on holiday without doing in my case weight.

I will keep each synopsis as brief as I can.

I saw this book on a few Booktube channels as being highly recommended.  It is about a dystopian future where women suddenly have all of the power.  They wake up one day and have the ability to cause pain and even death.  Men are disempowered all of a sudden and find themselves at the mercy of women. I am REALLY looking forward to this one!

 "See What I Have Done" is a novel which is based on the Lizzie Borden axe murders in Massachusetts.  I love novels based on real life events so I was drawn to this own.  The story starts off when the bodies of a mother and father are discovered by their youngest daughter having been axed to death.  It then looks at the other members of the household who each have their own stories to tell.



This is another novel based in a dystopian version of the world where a deadly plague is contributing to the end of the world. Humans everywhere are spontaneously combusting and the fire is spreading.  I was drawn to this because the protagonist is female which is unusual for the genre.  She is a pregnant nurse who is determined to live long enough to give birth to her child.

Another true crime novel.  Maggie Nelson's aunt was murdered.  After years of investigation by her she realises that the police have also been working on it and have a strong new lead.  They arrest a man who then goes on trial for the murder.  Maggie and her mother attend the trial every day.  This documents her emotional journey and thoughts as she watches the trial.

I am not usually a fan of fantasy novels - particularly ones about mermaids.  This follows the story of a mermaid princess who is running away from the sea and being a princess.  She goes to live on shore and is under the care of a young boy who is trying everything to keep her safe.  I believe there are also pirates involved here too...This one was another BookTube recommendation so I will give it a go!


Our main protagonist (Tara Sharp) is gifted with the power to read people's auras and find out things that they would not necessarily want people to know about.  Tara uses this power to help her progress her career and to get out of some sticky situations.  This is one that is supposed to be funny and witty so I am interested to see how that comes across.

This is a book club read this month and after reading "The Girl on the Train" in a day I was keen to see this. A single mother along with other women has been found at the bottom of a river.  The discovery leads to the reveal of other secrets that the river has been hiding for many years. Her daughter goes to live with her aunt who is a stranger to her.  Her aunt lives in fear and has tried to run away from the place she keeps being dragged back to.

A world where everyone lives on Mars after Earth was destroyed years ago.  The protagonist is a girl who is a trained fighter who is chosen by her school to travel on the mission back to Earth where she will discover many secrets.

This novel has been recommended to me so many times. I am so excited to read this one.  Starr witnesses her unarmed friend being shot dead by a police officer.  This looks at the media portrayal of the shooting and how young people are portrayed in the media.  Her life is in danger but she is the only person who is still alive that really knows the truth.

This is set in 1812 in London.  Lady Helen is about to be presented to the Queen when one of her housemaids disappears the night before.  She has to decide whether she can trust the dark lord Carlston to help her get to the bottom of the mystery.

Last but not least...
In every generation three triplets are born.  This is the first in a trilogy which follows the journey of 3 sisters who each have their own unique powers.  They must fight for the one crown to decide who will become queen.  I have heard lots of good things about this one so can't wait to get stuck in!

Sorry for the long haul - hopefully some good reads amongst the list.

Meg x






No comments:

Post a Comment