Professional Reader

Friday 20 October 2017

Super Late September Book Haul (Sorry!)

It is pretty clear that I have a book buying problem.  One that I have to admit I am not ashamed of - I could spend money on much worse things.  September was no different to any other month.  I ended up buying a grand total of 11 new books.  As a result I am going to keep each summary super short because I will be discussing each book in a lot more depth after I read them.

The first book that I purchased this month was "I See You" by Clare Mackintosh which is a thriller about women who all take the same route to work every day without knowing that they are being stalked.  One such woman notices her picture appears in the newspaper one day under an advert called findtheone.com.  Several women's pictures appear under the advert and Zoe discovers that terrible crimes are happening to the women.   She then works with a cop to help her uncover who the stalker is.







Amazon had a 3 for £10 deal on so it would have been rude to not get a few..."One of Us is Lying" by Karen M. McManus is a book that I have heard a lot about through Instagram and Booktube.  5 students enter detention but only 4 walk out alive.  The person killed is the school's notorious gossip blogger.  Each of the other 4 students have the perfect motive to kill Simon.  This looks at the investigation which aims to find out who the killer really is.

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman is a book that was made into a TV series I have heard a lot about recently.  All of my knowledge on this book basically comes from Goodreads.  The main character, Shadow, is faced with tragedy when his wife and best friend are killed in an accident just days before he is released from jail.  He takes a job as a bodyguard for a mysterious man, Mr. Wednesday, where he learns that life can be more intriguing and dangerous than he could have imagined.

The final book in my "3 for £10" was "The Girl of Ink and Stars" by Kiran Millwood Hargrave is about a cartographer's daughter named Isabella.  She lives in a society forbidden to leave the island they inhabit.  When her friend disappears Isabella offers to lead the search using all the maps that she has to help.  When she starts on her journey she does not realise that she will uncover the many myths surrounding the island and end up faced with the challenge of saving the whole island.



The next book was a must buy after reading the first book in the series.  "Crooked Kingdom" by Leigh Bardugo was the final part of the series and it definitely did not disappoint.  This is another book which has received lots of (well deserved) hype. The story picks up directly from "Six of Crows" so I don't want to give away too much.  It concludes the story well.  I have already included a series review on this one so I won't go into too much more detail.



"Gravity" by A.B. Bloom is one that came up as a book recommendation on Bookbub for me.  It is about a time that everyone believes is the end of the world.  Bronte is the main character who has problems of her own.  She is experiencing severe physical weakness following her last birthday.  Her bones are breaking and her hair is falling out and nobody knows why.  One day a strange boy appears and turns her life upside down.  He explains that everything is not as it seems and that she is not actually who she believed she was.



I absolutely love books about magic and witchcraft so when I heard about "The Graces" by Laure Eve I knew I absolutely had to give it a go.  The Graces are a group of people who are believed to be magic weavers by those who live in their town.  This is a thriller that explores the glamorous Graces and looks to discover whether they are more dangerous than what they seem.



"Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy is a book that I have never read and must admit find pretty intimidating.  Anna is isolated as a result of her passionate affair with Count Vronsky.  Her failing marriage pushes her into a tragically doomed affair which gives society cause to scorn and judge her.  Meanwhile, everyone around her is experiencing love and happiness which highlights the contrast between Anna and everyone else.




Every since signing up to Bookbub I have to admit I have bought lots more books for my Kindle.  I had heard of Affinity Konar's "Mischling" before but didn't know much about it.  When my Bookbub daily recommendation came through I saw this was on offer.  I haven't read it and don't want to know too much about it.  It is about twins who end up in Aushwitz during WWII and their quest to survive. 


This next book I had a real difficulty finding.  I heard about it on an American Booktube channel and did not realise it was primarily available in the States. "The Child Finder" is by Rene Denfeld and follows the story of a missing girl.  Three years after her disappearance the family turn to an investigator called Naomi who is known as The Child Finder. Naomi has her own secrets to uncover and does so as she goes on a journey to find the truth about what happened to the missing girl.



Finally in September I bought the e-book of "Genuine Fraud" by E. Lockheart.  I know nothing about this one and don't want to find out.  I read "We Were Liars" last year by the same author and had a real mixture of feelings about it.  I also think her books are best read blind because they are so mysterious. 

Is there such a thing as Book Addicts Anonymous? If so where should I sign up?

Meg x



No comments:

Post a Comment