Professional Reader

Sunday 17 September 2017

A New Venture...Inspired

Sometimes inspiration just happens.  Not when you are looking or necessarily want to be inspired.  For me it has been one of those inspiring weeks.

I took a trip to a creative writing convention with some young people and I will be honest and say that I had solely looked at this as an opportunity for the young people I was supervising.  Never did I expect to walk away totally inspired to kick start my own writing creative writing back up again. I was so fortunate to meet some wonderful Scottish writers and hear their own stories of how they write, what made them write and where they draw their creative musings from. 

The whole day is run by the Scottish Book Trust and offers pupils the chance to meet poets, novelists, playwrights and short story writers with Scottish backgrounds.  The pupils are divided into groups and each group experiences the workshops of two writers.  My group first met an ex-English teacher named Martin Stewart who recently released his debut novel, Riverkeep.  This workshop was a lot about choosing the right words to express what you are trying to say.  Not over-writing and falling into cliched habits.  I particularly enjoyed the editing techniques that he suggested. This has to be one of the most practical advice sessions I have ever had when it comes to writing.  I will definitely be putting his advice to good use.

The second workshop I attended was by poet Liz Niven.  Her workshop was less about the practicalities of writing and more about actually getting us to put pen to paper and to look for inspiration all around us.  Liz was super keen to get us all involved and we took inspiration from some poems she had selected in order to start writing our own poetry.  The first exercise was that we were given the colour blue then given one of the senses. Mine was sound. I had to write down what the colour blue sounds like.  We wrote a series of short poems using different exercises and were encouraged to write both in standard English as well as in Scots.  The outcome of this surprised me - what I ended up with written on the paper left me feeling really inspired to start writing again.

After I got home from the conference I felt like I had been away from writing for too long.  I always said that I would write a novel one day.  That I would be a published author.  When I left the feeling I had was that I want to start slightly smaller and go with writing short stories and maybe even poetry.  This week I have finally put my pen to paper and jotted out my ideas that I have had for a while.  Hopefully I will be posting some snippets of writing very soon.

Meg x


No comments:

Post a Comment